Hi my name is Alvin and I have been a Christian for almost 11 years since 31st Aug 2011, to be honest, I am getting tired of being one and want to quit being one and become something else.
Did you know the bible only mentions the word “Christian” only three times in the New Testament (Acts 11:26, Acts 26:28, 1 Peter 4:16) but yet today we put so much attention around the word “Christian”?
What Does it Mean To Be A Christian?
According to traditions and culture today, many people think that simply going to church occasionally or simply believing in God makes them Christian. However, that is so far from the truth that the Bible says about Christian.
Christians in the bible was a word given to gentiles during the Bible times, basically anyone who is not a Jew but is someone whose behavior and heart reflects Jesus Christ was called “Christians”. The disciples were first called Christians first at Antioch because their speech and behavior were like Christ.
The big issue of Christians today, do we see Christians today’s behaviors that reflect who Jesus Christ is really about. What is even more sad pastors are so busy doing recovery or pastoral care for the members that they do not realize the members who they care about are not really Christians yet as they are yet to mature to be Christ-like but more inward focus on themselves and idolizing themselves more than God.
I say this with care and conviction because I have seen so MANY SELFISH Christian who do not bother about loving others or praying for others or serving others and they still dare to say they are Christians. Some worst go to the extreme of only focusing on serving themselves so many in their GOALS and DESIRES they totally IGNORE GOD and pastors have to answer them why God doesn’t provide or give. I got the answer for them! That is because they are not a Christian yet and do not understand the meaning of being a follower of Jesus.
Christians during the Bible times were expected to suffer for being Christian.
“Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.
If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you. If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler.
However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name.” – 1 peter 4:12-16
Try being a pastor yourself and tell your members if you believe in Jesus today you will suffer. MANY will LEAVE the CHURCH! That is why you seldom hear this in church! But that’s the truth that sadly many churches today tend to ignore to preach this truth but only can accept blessings and good things but no suffering 🙁
So as you can see the original meaning of being a Christian is so far from the meaning of being a Christian today.
The Word Christian Has Been Perverted And Distorted Today
Today the Christians have been perverted to the extreme through the spread of false doctrine and traditions today. We have people who claim to be Christians but yet do not live a life that honors Jesus but only themselves!
When you ask why they want to be Christians, some are actually thinking of the following things:
- What are my desires and goals from God
- What help do I need from God in my finances, health or family?
- Desire to find a partner in the church
- Prayer for their personal ambitions in life
- The desire of great experiences or happiness in the worship services with God ( concerts of worship )
- and the list goes on
However, do all these things I just mentioned have to do with reflecting on Jesus Christ? Or does it even have to do with the will of God? If you think it does, you have a VERY big problem, my friend, you need to read your bible.
I Quit Being A Christian A Long Time Ago
Today, I no longer call myself a Christian because I will rather be a follower and disciple of Jesus. Did you know the word “Disciple”, from the Latin discipulus, translates the New Testament μαθητής (mathētēs ), which at its root means “learner,” or “apprentice.” The word is used 261 times in the New Testament!
The big problem with Christians today is they have faith and believe in Jesus but without works is DEAD! ( James 2:17-18 ) Do not tell me you are Christian just because you go to church every Sunday and give your tithing that is not the works the bible is talking about!
If your life does not reflect Jesus to others or back up what you read by your actions, your faith is dead without the deeds that glorify God.
Christians Give Glory To God for All The Wrong Things
Christians today give glory more to themselves than God actually today and the worst churches, and pastors are encouraging it without them realizing it. What is worst we glorify sin more than God even at church!
Don’t believe me? Let me give you some examples of very common unglorifying things we praise God for
Praising Jesus for the financial blessings we receive from our work or business
- If a non-believer hears you praise Jesus for finance what are you telling others about Jesus? That Jesus is a God who gives fortune? Is that what the Bible says about Jesus?
- What’s worst is, that some Christians believe in Jesus solely only on financial gain and keep on praying to Jesus for the more and more financial blessing which eventually encourages greed which is sin! Is that really from Jesus? The truth that blessing might actually come from satan instead because he encourages greed and sin 🙂
Praising Jesus for a new car, new house, new career, more sales
- Again this practice is really common nowadays and every pastor praises this all the time
- But think for a moment who are we really praising actually?
- What does the car, house, career or more sales get to do with God? or increasing the kingdom of God? take a moment and think about it.
Praising Jesus for answering the things you want but say God is not hearing you when you do not get the answer you want
- When you receive something that in favor to what you prayed for, you PRAISE JESUS. Wow so nice right and easy
- What happens when God chooses not to give you what you desire or prayed for? Christian gets upset and worst they say God is not listening to me or silent! Is that really true? Maybe God is telling you something you are not hearing my friend!
You Should Be A Disciple of Jesus Today Not Christians
So how do you know if one is really a disciple of Jesus? Here are two simple attributes of discipleship of Christ should have.
“Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.” – 1 John 3:18
Do just listen or read or talk about the Bible but do it with action. But not just any action but the action of love for others and not yourself. The problem I always see Christians do all the time, is they love themselves so much that it is sad to see they do not bother about others which is not what Jesus tells us to do.
Disciples of Jesus should also be willing not just to love others but also be bold in sharing the word of God, praying for others, helping others in need, looking out for the welfare of others then yourself or sacrificing your time to serve the church or body of Christ.
“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Therefore by their fruits you will know them.” – Mathew 7:15-20
You know what is most sad, being a Christian for 12 years I have seen time and time again many Christians who go to church longer than me some even 20 or 30 years in church but never once consider bearing any fruit! Honestly, I will not be surprised during judgment day, they might even be in heaven even though they think they are saved or Christian!
And that is because they do not realize the importance of knowing the will of God and bearing fruit for Jesus
Here Are Some Practical Ways To Be A Hear God and Know The of Will of God
- Set as much time as you can daily in the morning or evening to pray to God
- Spend time hearing God then request and talking
- Write down anything that comes to you that you have an impression is from God
- Learn to surrender every situation to God as much as you can
- Ask God for boldness and strength to do the task or things that God has told you to do
- Stop complaining to God about your problems, trust Him more and praise Him anyway if it’s still bad
I pray this will encourage you today, do share this with your Christian friends today!